This online ce course utilizes content from the textbook “Promoting Legal and Ethical Awareness” by Ron Scott, PT, JD, EdD, LLM © 2009, published by Elsevier.
Instructional Level: Beginner to Intermediate
This online continuing education course covers the legal and ethical issues involved with patient care, providing you a framework for making important health-related decisions on patient care. It includes the latest information on HIPPA, IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act), and ADA (the Americans with Disabilities Act); discussing methods of alternative dispute resolution.
Included throughout this text you will find coverage of health care malpractice issues including potential problems and how to prevent claims; case examples showing how legal ideas and concepts apply to practice setting guidelines for end of life care including do-not-resuscitate, life-and-death decision-making, and informed consent. Also discussed are the ethical foundations and the bases for ethical conduct as well as professional practice issues.
· Bases for Ethical Conduct
· Health Care Professional, Business, and Organizational Ethics Defined and Distinguished
· Purposes of Professional Code of Ethics
· Enforcement of Ethics Code
o Due Process and Judicial Oversight of Health Care Professional Associations
o The Modern Blending of Law and Professional Ethics
o Legal and Ethical Health Care four-Quadrant Clinical practice Grid ‘Situational’ Ethics
· Biomedical Ethical Principles
· Patient Autonomy: The Concept of Self-Determination
· The Systems Approach to Health Care Professional Ethical Decision Making
· Ethics in Focus
o Ethical Duty to Obtain Patient Informed Consent
o Legal Aspects of Patient Informed Consent
· Life and Death Decision Making
o Do Not Resuscitate Orders
o Is there a “Constitutional Right to Die”?
· Nondiscrimination in Health Care Delivery
· Professional Practice Issues